David Kirsch made a name as the man who whips models into shape, namely those readying for the Victoria Secret catwalk. His “sound mind, sound body” targeted fitness tactics have garnered him this specialty clientele as well as the illustrious title of Master of the Ass. Here he shares with us his philosophy on overall health and wellness and also to achieve that enviable BEACH BODY.
I put together a custom DK EXRESS WORKOUT® – a combination of five exercises, done as a circuit without respite. All 15 repetitions.
Sumo Lunges to a Side Kick & and a Squat Jump – start with your feet shoulder width distance apart. Lift your right leg from the knee and move it in a circular roundhouse. Land out to the side wider than you started and immediately squat down (channeling a sumo wrestler). As you come out of the squat, lift your right leg and kick out leading with your heel. Finish the move with a squat jump making sure to land in your heels, placing greater emphasis in your butt. Repeat with your left leg. (great for shaping and toning outer thighs, hamstrings and butt)
Plie Squats – Start with your feet wider than shoulder–width distance apart and turned out forty-five degrees, with your hands on your hips. As you squat down, simultaneously lift your heels up as high as you can. As you return to standing position, bring your heels down. This will blast your inner thighs, butt and core!
Platypus Walks – This one is one of my all–time favorite signature moves! Start in a plié squat position with your hands behind your head and your thighs parallel to the floor. Waddle forward! Right foot in front of the left – stay engaged in the plié squat, take four or five steps forward and then, reverse. Make sure your knees stay out and your weight stays in your heels throughout the exercise. This will really blast your inner thighs and the lower part of your butt.
Single Leg Dead-lift – start with your feet shoulder–width distance apart. Balancing in your right leg, bending at the waist, reach your left hand down to your right foot extending your left leg straight behind you. Make sure to keep both hips facing down during the movement. Repeat with the other leg.
Stability Ball Hand-Offs (works abs) – Lie flat on your back, gripping your stability ball on both sides. Reach your arms and your legs straight up simultaneously. Keep your back flat on the floor. Pass the ball from your hands to your legs. Lower your legs and arms simultaneously. Now reverse it!
All of the squats & lunges will only do so much if you don’t support with good, sensible nutrition. Be very mindful of – sugar, overly processed carbohydrates added fats, diet soft drinks, and alcohol. I thought it would be helpful if I discussed what a typical day could look like:
- Breakfast green juice – kale, rainbow chard, cucumber, celery, fresh parsley, dill, half green apple and ginger. I will top with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for a little extra thermogenic boost. I like the Hurom slow press juicer.
- Steel cut oats – ¼ cup dry of steel cut outs yields one serving and a morning full of healthy fuel – add some berries for an extra antioxidant boost.
- Mid – Morning snack of 2 hard – boiled eggs – one whole egg and one just the white
- Lunch – mixed green salad with 4 ounces of lean protein, squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Mid – afternoon – handful of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios.)
- Dinner – roasted wild salmon with sautéed kale
Supplements – DAVID KIRSCH WELLNESS CO. ONE OF A KIND SUPPLEMENTS® – I created my natural line of supplements for those that wanted to transform their mind, life and body. I have found a handful of them particularly helpful for those wanting to get red carpet ready, bikini ready, or just look & feel there very best.
- Eat a diet high in fiber (25 grams per day for women) from whole grains, fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of fluids – 6–8 glasses a day and move your body! Exercise at least 5 days and 30 minutes per day.
- I would limit the amount of dairy consumption to no more than a Greek yogurt (if desired).
- Rule out any food allergies and intolerances (e.g. wheat, lactose).
- Chew your food – eating too fast can fill you’re belly air as well as the food you’re eating.
- Limit consumption of carbonated drinks, which can cause gas to get caught in your belly.